Augustus (Gus) Bonnell’s garage in Waterville was located where the Pine Creek Valley Lodge was later built. Otto Campbell, in 1933, is in the center with his 1933 Packard to
his right. Note the Tydol gasoline sign, advertising the era’s popular brand of fuel from New York State’s Tidewater Oil Corporation. In 1937,
J. Paul Getty bought the company, and the gasoline became Tydol Flying A, and eventually just Flying A.
Less than four miles north of Ramsey Village lies Waterville, at the confluence of the Little and Big Pine Creeks. The first known settler in the area was John English, another
Revolutionary War veteran.
The first recorded sawmill was that of Capt. Christian Stake, built in 1792, not far up Little Pine Creek. Abraham Harris built Harris Tavern in 1825, later renamed
the Carson Hotel, and then the Waterville Hotel.